[ERH Society] Robert Heath addendum

Norman Fiering norman_fiering at brown.edu
Sun Feb 5 21:25:41 EST 2017

Michael Gormann-Thelen asked a former student of Heath’s, Terry Stevenson, for his memories of Heath, and received the tribute below. Heath’s rebellion against some of the protocols of higher education in this country is much in the ERH tradition.  For an elaboration see Page Smith’s KILLING THE SPIRIT (1990).  Smith himself resigned as Provost of Cowell College at the University of Santa Cruz in California over what he considered to be an unjust denial of tenure to an esteemed colleague.

Norman